The 1996 Chateau Margaux, which was bottled in September, 1998, is undoubtedly one of the great classics produced under the Mentzelopoulos regime. In many respects, it is the quintessential Chateau Margaux, as well as the paradigm for this estate, combining measured power, extraordinary elegance, and admirable complexity. I tasted the wine on three separate occasions in January, and in short, it's a beauty! The color is opaque purple. The wine offers extraordinarily pure notes of blackberries, cassis, pain grille, and flowers, gorgeous sweetness, a seamless personality, and full body, with nothing out of place. The final blend (85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, and the rest Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc) contains a high percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon. It tastes complete and long, although backward. My instincts suggest this wine will shut down, but at present it is open-knit, tasting like a recently bottled wine. The fruit is exceptionally sweet and pure, and there are layers of flavor in the mouth. I do believe this wine will develop an extraordinary perfume, and possess a high level of richness. Anticipated maturity: 2005-2040.
Chateau Margaux is a world famous wine estate located in Bordeaux, France, in the commune of Margaux, off the left bank of the Medoc Region. Chateau Margaux was one of the four wines to receive the “Premier Cru” (First Growth) status in the Bordeaux Classification of 1855.
The Chateau consistently produces some of the most expensive and highly rated wines in the world; its primary line being the Chateau Margaux, the second wine named Pavillon Rouge, and a dry white wine labeled Pavillon Blanc. The estate of Chateau Margaux spans over 260 hectares, and churns out almost 400,000 bottles a year.
10,000 - 15,000 cases
First Growth – Premier Cru
Margaux/Medoc - Left Bank
HAFTUNGSAUSSCHLUSS – Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All Preise sind nur für perfekte OHK’s (Originalholzkiste) = 12 * 750 ml Flaschen
- - Alle Bestände sind geprüft und ausschließlich Europäischer Herkunft
- - Bordeaux Traders übernimmt keine Haftung für die Genauigkeit der Informationen
- - Bilder reflektieren möglicherweise nicht die aktuellen Bestände
- - Derzeitige Marktpreise sind vorläufige Werte des Durchschnitts; wahre Marktwerte können variieren
- - Aufgrund diverser Marktentwicklungen werden für Ankauf sowie Verkaufspreise Änderungen vorbehalten