Notes of melted caramel, coffee, fruitcake, and ripe currants are moderately intense in this relatively ripe year for Ausone. Nevertheless, in the mouth there is still high tannin, a somewhat attenuated finish with medium body and average quantities of red and black currant fruits. Drink it over the next 10-15 years. Last tasted, 11/02. *** Long-time readers of this publication know that I believe Ausone is the most intellectually challenging wine made in Bordeaux. The wine often tastes as if it needs 40-50 years to shed some of its astringency and closed style. With that caveat in mind, the 1989 seemed significantly less impressive than in previous tastings. Certainly it is nowhere near the quality of the 1990. The 1989 reveals amber at the edge, and a green tobacco and mineral-scented, hard-edged nose of musty wood and earthy fruit. This mid-weight wine is spicy and elegant, with moderate body, and a boatload of astringent tannin in the harsh finish. It requires a minimum of 10-15 more years of cellaring. Anticipated maturity: 2005-2020.
Chateau Ausone is a Bordeaux wine estate from the Saint Emilion appellation, situated in the Saint Emilion region in Bordeaux, France. It is one of only four wines, alongside Chateau Angelus, Cheval Blanc and Pavie to be ranked Premier Grand Cru Classe (A) in the Saint-Emilion classification for wine. The winery is located on the Right Bank of France’s Bordeaux wine region. The winery also produces a second wine named Chapelle d’Ausone.
Many claim the high quality wine originating from the Chateau is due to the soil composition in the area, a blend of sand and clay residing on limestone which is unique to the area. Due to the smaller nature of this vineyard (a total of 7 hectares), the entire harvest can be picked over the course of two afternoons.
2,000 - 2,500 cases
Premier Grand Cru Classe (A)
HAFTUNGSAUSSCHLUSS – Bordeaux Traders © 2015
- - All Preise sind nur für perfekte OHK’s (Originalholzkiste) = 12 * 750 ml Flaschen
- - Alle Bestände sind geprüft und ausschließlich Europäischer Herkunft
- - Bordeaux Traders übernimmt keine Haftung für die Genauigkeit der Informationen
- - Bilder reflektieren möglicherweise nicht die aktuellen Bestände
- - Derzeitige Marktpreise sind vorläufige Werte des Durchschnitts; wahre Marktwerte können variieren
- - Aufgrund diverser Marktentwicklungen werden für Ankauf sowie Verkaufspreise Änderungen vorbehalten